Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Basics

It has seemed that all my life I have had two major "end all" goals for my personal self. These are goals that I want to accomplish before I die. The first goal I have being relatively easy and accomplishable; and the second, a little more unrealistic. My first goal is that before I die I want to make every person I meet in life smile or laugh at least once. Although this might make me sound like an overdone "people pleaser", it has more to do with my enjoyment of providing joy. You never know when something negative or positive might just make someone’s day, season, year, or even life that much better. As of this date, I feel that I have accomplished this and I will continue to strive to continue this goal until I take my last breath.

My second goal might not be attainable till my actual demise. I want to find the answer to everything or the answer to life. I want to discover the "end all, be all" solution to everything. The underlining answers to reality or life itself. Through the research I have done up to this point in my life, I do not have an answer. Perhaps I will never have an answer until I die and only then might the truth be discovered.

Through the many religions that I have read about in great detail, I do not think that religion holds the key to the answers. After all, with as many contradictions and prejudices that the majority of these religions hold, it is hard to accept them to hold any value towards an actual truthful answer for which I am searching. Science and math, however, have come a lot closer to finding the answers, but perhaps they will never discover the actual answers as well. At what point when we have the answer to everything will there be a need for anything? If we know how everything works, what happens when we die, and what to do to make ourselves "immortal" in our current conditions, then what would there be to do in life?

Perhaps it might just be the transitions I have gone through in my own personal life that have sparked such a curiosity to solve this problem or to find the answer to the "ultimate question". I do not think I will be able to find the true answer to the question until what point I do stop "living" in the terms in which I currently do (i.e. breathing oxygen, heart beating, et al.). But I do think I will be able to discover or inspire others to make steps towards the discovery of the answer to the ultimate questions. But until I find the answers I will continue searching in hopes of at least having an overall, well rounded idea of the possibilities of what most likely happens to us all in the end.

I end this entry with a quote from a man known as Miguel de Unamuno y Jugo, a famous philosopher and great thinker.

"Not only do we desire immortality, but the immortality of our friends and family, of our homes and nations, and of all aspects of life. This desire to live forever exactly as we do now is, of course, an irrational desire, but it is this desire that makes us human, and to be human is to be idealistic and impractical. Thus there is a conflict between our desire for immortality and our reason-which negates it; out of this conflict comes the desire to believe in God, the need for faith, which reason of course cannot confirm."

Next Post: Current Life Updates

1 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 12:01 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hey man enjoyed reading your blog. Very insightful, and it pleases me to know that people think about things that goes beyond what they are wearing or what they plan to eat for dinner. Kudos on the philosopher's quote, and I hope you find what you are looking for. BTW nice pic! And I could tell yah the meaning of life now, but...... I think I'll save that for another time ;-).
-Bob
(One crazy Mo-Fo, in a country on the otherside of the world)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home